Theft and burglary are mostly a shock for people. One one side it is the economic loss but on the other side it incredibly impairs their sense of security.
What you should pay attention to...
- Inform immediately the police calling 110. If the line is busy, you listen to a recorded message. Keep calm and stay patient. The police will pick up your call as soon as possible.
- Please, tell us if you suspect anybody strange of still being inside your apartment/ house.
- In this case go to a safe place where you can observe your apartment/ house and wait for the police.
- If possible try to avoid entering your apartment/ house and do not touch anything.
- The police will start investigations and fill in a report form on the spot as mostly traces and photos of the crime scene have to be secured.
- If you have already entered your apartment/ house try to keep in mind the way that you took and which things you have touched.
What we would like to know from you...
- The police need your ID or any other means of identification for dealing with your report.
- Think about the point of time when you left your flat, house or cellar intactly and when you noticed the burglary.
- Please tell us which items had been stolen.
- It is important for us to know if you had noticed any suspicious person or any irregularity before the burglary.
How does it go on?
- First the police check if immediate actions must be taken. Then they usually start the search and examine the scene of crime by preserving traces.
- The CID initiate the investigations and you might be summoned for clarifying further details and questions.
- If afterwards anything else comes into your mind, you can complete your statements in a written form referring to the file number.
- In any case the public prosecutor`s office in charge of your case will inform you of the outcome of the proceedings in a written form.
- It may be possible that some of your belongings could be probably secured for forensic examination. You will get them back after analysing.